Friday, October 12, 2012

Defining Wellness

First of all Welcome to my blog!

I hope that it inspires you!

To begin with I think we should start by Defining Wellness:

Wellness is defined by Dictionary.com and most dictionaries as "the quality or state of being healthy in body and mind especially as the result of deliberate effort."

The second definition states that wellness is "an approach to health care that emphasizes preventing illness and prolonging life as opposed to emphasizing treating disease."

And as these are good definitions I find that personally wellness means something much more dimensional and abstract than the black and white definitions.  Wellness is physical, mental, and spiritual health and thus encompasses every aspect of our life.  I think  that wellness is different to every person.  What makes me feel balanced and whole in my life may not make you feel balanced and whole in yours.



 I find that to me wellness hints at an overall intentional contentment with life in our current state.  However, it is more than that.  I don't believe that contentment means that you cannot grow and change and seek to always improve.  There is nothing wrong with recognizing that we are not where we want to be in some aspect of our life and yet being content in our progress and enjoying the little things in the now.  Part of this is accepting that even challenges in our life are part of God's plan for us.  I really do believe that challenging life events have made me a more understanding and compassionate person.  It took me a long time to accept and recognize that these events made me a better person and were part of God's plan for me.  It is not easy.  And there are some things in my life I still struggle to accept.  But, it is all part of the Journey in Wellness.

I hope this blog can be a place to grow in overall wellness by examining the many facets of this word such as: nutritional ideas, recipes, gardening, health, spirituality, community and sharing, as well as DIY crafts and household ideas that help us achieve a confidence in what we are and what we can achieve.